Nutritional Hormesis: Key to Anti-Aging
The hormetic mechanism of phyto-nutrients is an exciting area of research that has garnered much speed in the last two decades. Scientists now understand how small amounts of phytochemicals offer a hormetic mechanism: a stimulation of many pathways in our body that prevents, repairs, or reverses aging and disease (Lee et al., 2014; Davinelli et al., 2012).
Hormesis is a small dosage of a certain nutrient that “excites” a healthy response. For example, vitamins and minerals are hormetic essential nutrients. Phyto chemicals from plants like berries, fruits, vegetables and greens can be used as hormetic essential nutrients. Small quantities are shown in research to generate great results (Calabrese et al., 2020).
The adoptive response of cells and organisms to low dosages of phytochemicals stimulates a beneficial effect in the body (Mattson, 2008, 2008a). Calabrese et al. conducted many longevity and anti-aging studies on hormetic phytochemicals and vitagenes, a group of genes that is responsible for cellular homeostasis during times of stress. In particular, the effect of antioxidants such as polyphenols on neuro-generation (2012, 2011, 2009). The vitagene network of genes involved in the process of repair and maintenance is thought of as the longevity assurance processes: the efficient functioning of various maintenance and repair processes assuring our survival and health (Rattan, 1998; see also Cornelius et al., 2013; Calabrese et al., 2010; Rattan, 2010; 2004).
Santoro et al. (2020) find that stress can elicit responses that are beneficial or detrimental depending on the intensity and duration. The key element of adapting well is the nutrients we take to counter a longer and more intense stress. For example, phytonutrients such as tart cherries, beetroot, and pomegranate are shown in research to lower inflammation after intense exercise that can damage muscles (Bongiovanni et al., 2020).
A powerful combination for anti-aging and anti-inflammation is the No 7 and Phyto Power.
Suggested dose: 1-2 capsules of Phyto Power and 1 teaspoon of No 7.
- Bongiovanni, T., Genovesi, F., Nemmer, M., Carling, C., Alberti, G., & Howatson, G. (2020). Nutritional interventions for reducing the signs and symptoms of exercise-induced muscle damage and accelerate recovery in athletes: current knowledge, practical application and future perspectives. European Journal of Applied Physiology, 1-32.
- Calabrese, E. J., Mattson, M. P., Dhawan, G., Kapoor, R., Calabrese, V., & Giordano, J. (2020). Hormesis: A potential strategic approach to the treatment of neurodegenerative disease. Metabolic and Bioenergetic Drivers of Neurodegenerative Disease: Treating Neurodegenerative Diseases as Metabolic Diseases, 155, 271.
- Calabrese, E. J., Calabrese, V., & Giordano, J. (2017). The role of hormesis in the functional performance and protection of neural systems. Brain Circulation, 3(1), 1.
- Hayes, D. P. (2010). Nutritional hormesis and aging. Dose-Response, 8(1), dose-response.
- Hayes, D. P. (2007). Nutritional hormesis. European journal of clinical nutrition, 61(2), 147-159.
- Hamzayeva, N., Bobonazarov, G., & Jumanazarov, A. (2020). SIRTUIN AND NUTRITIONAL HORMESIS. InterConf.
- Martucci, M., Ostan, R., Biondi, F., Bellavista, E., Fabbri, C., Bertarelli, C., ... & Santoro, A. (2017). Mediterranean diet and inflammaging within the hormesis paradigm. Nutrition Reviews, 75(6), 442-455.
- Rattan, S. I. (2008). Hormesis in aging. Ageing research reviews, 7(1), 63-78.
- Santoro, A., Martucci, M., Conte, M., Capri, M., Franceschi, C., & Salvioli, S. (2020). Inflammaging, hormesis and the rationale for anti-aging strategies. Ageing Research Reviews, 101142.
- Son, T. G., Camandola, S., & Mattson, M. P. (2008). Hormetic dietary phytochemicals. Neuromolecular medicine, 10(4), 236.
We have developed our products based on scientific research and/or the practical experience of many healthcare practitioners. There is a growing body of literature on food based nutrition and supplements and their application in support of our health. Please use our products under the advisement of your doctor.
|Dr. Bardell's Approved List of products for beauty, body, and home is a curated list of excellent clean products for the whole family. Personal care and beauty products bring as many toxins to the home as cleaning products. Check out the list: Dr. Bardell's Approved Products for Beauty, Body and Home.|